I’m getting annoyed by Facebook and its ‘coverage’ of the conflict between Israel and Palestine. Some of my ‘friends’ are posting images depicting Palestinian solidarity. Others are posting images of the Israeli flag. Some are showing graphic pictures of injured children in the Palestine, others are showing explosions in Israel. Within this chaos, can I just declare this:
I SUPPORT ISRAEL. I SUPPORT PALESTINE. I SUPPORT PEACE. I don’t just support ‘co-existence’… I support MUTUAL LOVE.
Anyone who says that Israel is inherently anti-Muslim is wrong. Along with Pakistan, China, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and of course, America, Israel was one of the biggest participants in fighting the Soviet Union in 1980′s. Many countries shied away from the task of taking on the Soviet Union. Many were too afraid, and some, (*cough* government administrations in Afghanistan) would simply put down their arms and immediately embrace the Soviets, upon seeing a red tank. But Israel? Along with Pakistan, facilitated by America, the good people of Israel sent arms to a rag-tag group of ‘Moslems’ in Afghanistan. Some reports even claim that Israeli soldiers, along with Americans and Pakistanis, helped ‘train’ these freedom fighters. Of course, I’m opening a can of worms by bringing this up, because this same group of ‘Mujahideen’ fighters would eventually birth Mullah Omar and Osama Bin Laden, but…. they also birthed a defeat against the Soviet Union, aided by Pakistan, Israel and America (and a few others).
When the Soviet Union collapsed, millions of Muslims immediately inherited religious freedom and most of them lived in what is now Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkmenistan (not including, Afghanistan). Israel had direct involvement in liberating millions of Muslims and creating these five new Muslim nations. So anyone who says that Israel is anti-Muslim is wrong.
With that… I must give further compliments to Israel. We’ve heard great news this week about the success of Iron Dome! Many Palestinian rockets have been launched into the sky and the majority have been shot down, saving many, innocent, Israeli citizens. Israel, today, is a HUB for technology, producing some of the finest hardware and softwares. Of note, Israel also ranks high in many social mobility indexes, showing its commitment to entrepreneurism and egalitarian principles. With that said… any nation that can build ‘Iron Dome,’ surely, can also build a peace process?
As for Palestine, the best I can say is that statistics show that suicide attacks decrease rapidly during declared ‘peace processes.’ To me, this shows that the majority of Palestinians want to live without the fears of war, within the realms of a nation they can call their own. It’s also unfair to assail Palestinians for supporting Yassir Arafat’s rejection of the Clinton Peace Plan in 1997, that would’ve award them 97% of the West Bank and Gaza Strip, because…. the other 3% represented every roadway and airport in Palestine, which was to be controlled by Israel. C’mon people? I’d hate to live in Los Angeles and have ‘South Africa’ run LAX. I think the same can be said for Palestinians, who should actually be applauded for wanting rule their own selves.
I have many theories and analysis on what can be done to create the perfect situation of peace, but I’m also still debating the effectiveness of them in my head. What I do know? It is possible. I deeply deeply believe that, not just peace, but that LOVE, is possible. One of my favorite figures, Ghandhi, once said, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”
Well, then here’s my contribution – a declaration -
I am pro-Israeli. I am pro-Palestinian. And I am pro-love.